Tuesday, December 21, 2010

Tips in Upgrading Google Map Code From V2 To V3

Since I am kind of stuck on testing for my library, I decide to move to another direction of my project. I need to use my library to rebuild the visualization that I created last semester(Monitor, GeoMap, Stoplight), so that I can compare the code to tell if my library really help the WattDepot web application development. The Stoplight and Monitor are pretty easy to implemented (just retrieve the data and display). You may visit the project hosting page and check it out. The GeoMap visualization is little bit harder, because it contains some nested requests and data manipulation, also because it was using Google Map API version 2 and I need to migrate my code to adapt version 3 now. In this blog post, I will discuss about some changes that I dealt with when upgrading my code with Google Map API V3.

1. Map Object
The most fundamental object in Google Map API is the map object. In V3, MapTypeId is added as the required property to render the map. This property tells the map type is either "RoadMap", "Satellite", or something else. Another thing new in V3 is the way it calculates the zoom level by the bound. In V2, you need to call getBoundsZoomLevel(bound) to get the zoom level and set the map with the zoom level it returned. In V3, you simply need to call fitBounds(bound) and the whole thing is done.

2. Marker Object
In V2, marker object is a subclass of overlay. Once you created a marker, you need to call map.addOverLay(marker) to add marker to the map. In V3, the marker object has a map property. If this property is set, the marker will be added to the map stored in this property. Another minor change is that in V3, it uses markerImage object to replace the icon object in V2.


3. Infowindow Object
In V3, Google Map API introduce the infowindow object. Infowidnow object is basically the dialog box that usually comes up when a marker is clicked. In V2, only one dialog box can be showed in the map at one time and In V3 multiple dialog box can be showed simultaneously. In V2, this effect is invoked by openInfoWindowHtml() function inside an overlay object. You simply pass the html code showing in the dialog box as the parameter to the openInfoWindowHtml() function. In V3, infowindow object has a content property, which manages the content of the dialog box, and it also has a size property, which controls the size of the dialog box. (Note: dialog box size can only be set in size property. In V2, it can be set inside the content.)

By far, these are the changes that affacts my code the most. Upgrading the code to adapt a new version of a library always involves a lot of learning, debugging, and coding. This is exactly how I upgrade my code to use Google Map API V3. First, I found some sample code that using the Google Map API V3 and had a general idea of how much the api was changed. Then I went back to my code and checked which functions are replaced or gone. Last, I used the new way to rewrite the code for those broken functions and debug the program. Hopefully my experience can help some one who just start migrating his/her code to a new version of Google Map API.

No comments:

Post a Comment